Monday, April 12, 2010

“Diamonds are a girl’s best friend"

[Circa last Wednesday, April 7th]

Speaking from the perspective of a girl who has no plans for marriage any time soon, I wonder at the origination of such a phrase. For most of 2001 I was fascinated with Nicole Kidman’s starring role in the film Moulin Rouge. There’s a moment toward the beginning of the picture when Kidman, as the heroine, sings a supped-up version of “Sparkling Diamonds.” The premise of the Baz Luhrman directed work is one where a high profile call girl gets swept up in love amidst her growing fame, only to face an untimely death.


Kidman, playing Satine, belts the familiar lines as men thrust bedazzled jewels at her diamond-ensconced self. Tiffany’s! Cartier! One 14K Diamond encrusted gold pendant after the other:

“A kiss on the hand may be quite continental, but diamonds are a girls best friend. A kiss may be grand but it won't pay the rent on your humble flat. Well, I hope you feed your, mmm pussy cat. Men grow cold as girls grow old, and we all lose are charms in the end. But square cut or pear shape these rocks don’t lose their shape. Diamonds are a girl’s best friend.”

Sort of a get it while you’re hot mentality. I understand that being as I’m on my way to Las Vegas right now. Play the tables while you’re young. I believe it was Tracy Jordan on 30 Rock who coined the life of the stripper so nicely, "You got to think like these strippers. They know the window of opportunity is only open for a moment. You gotta get in while you’re young, get the money, and get out."

But let’s get real here — it's not as if we can just forget what we saw in Blood Diamond.

1 comment:

  1. Brigid! I can't believe that nowhere on this post do you link back to Marilyn Monroe and your post on blondes! I like the get in while you're hot analysis, but I gotta think it's more about not being able to depend on anyone but yourself in the end. xo

    ReplyDelete