Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The 9-5 is severely over-rated.

Holy macaroll this is true. I'm one to complain when I'm bored, when there isn't enough work and when life just seems slow. Doesn't that sound exactly like most behind-the-desk-9-5-ers? It does. My stint in corporate America didn't last long, which for me was probably a mistake. I probably should have stuck it out at my cubicle job for longer. That's neither here nor there, though. "Past is past," as Rafiki said in The Lion King, and one shouldn't dwell on it. Honestly, I love that I don't have a 9-5 job. At this point I can do this. No responsibility but to myself. Even if being self-employed, freelancing and contracting out my skills isn't particularly lucrative, I'm still eating, so we're all good.

There's something so nice about taking classes sporadically, working retail, freelancing my various creative services (need some copywriting done?), and dropping everything to be in a play. Every day is different, in flux, and it makes life more fun, exciting -- different. The one question I always pose at the end of interviews is simply a question wondering: Does every day provide new challenges, opportunities and variation? That's key to (I think) most people's success. And sometimes I get scared that my success comes down to me and not a boss. Yet, even now as I write this there's excitement in freedom. Sitting at a desk all day long (possibly crunching numbers or inputting data) and fearing that your manager will see that you're surfing the Web intermittently is no way to live. Clearly, making money is a goal everyone has to some degree, so I'm not saying buckling down isn't also a necessary component.

But I think it should be stated that indeed, variation is key, which is why careers in production, advertising, marketing, entertainment, writing, etc. etc. etc. are all so very appealing. To each their own. But, please note: The 9-5 isn't for everyone, and that's ok.

Isn't this just the saddest thing you ever saw?

No comments:

Post a Comment