Monday, November 8, 2010

"Time is of the essence."

So. I had to look up what this phrase actually means. I had a general idea, but for clarification's sake (the best kind of sake), here we are:

time is of the essence n. a phrase often used in contracts, which, in effect says: the specified time and dates in this agreement are vital and thus, mandatory, and "we mean it." Therefore, any delay, reasonable or not, slight or not, will be grounds for canceling the agreement.
This, then, is a fact. I used it the other day in regard to how I have no time for hardly anything as I have everything and more on my plate. For your sick pleasure: Friday's consist of hell for me. I wake up at the crack of dawn, pedal nearly 5 miles to work so I can get there early, then leave early so I can hop to my internship at iO. There alone you can see that I have negative time. But, alas, the mayhem continues. After my internship, which ends at 6:30 pm, I have to have preplanned to have my car parked near Wrigley Field the night before, as I need to drive to Second City for the hit sketch show: Eat, PREY, Love, in order to be there at, WHAT!?, 6:30 pm. That's right, folks. More negative time. After the show is the wind down, consisting of gin and sprites at Old Towne Ale House until I don't even know what time. All I do know is I hate that I have to leave my bike at iO, in effect leaving me without my primary mode of transport. More lost time.

What you need to take away is this, time is important. Indeed, quite possibly the most important thing, because at the end of the day, that's all we have. So, it's wholeheartedly, "of the essence."

All this to say, "Don't waste it."

Fortunately for me, I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment