Saturday, August 7, 2010

A "heartbreaker" is worth it

The thing is — you should never listen closely to any of Mariah Carrey's lyrics. But, since I did (i.e. "Heartbreaker"), here's two cents.

Ms. Mimi's tuneage, while good for a nice jog or even blasting during an in house DP throw down, is not one for the realist. What kind of person lets a quote on quote "heartbreaker" get the best of them? I suppose the concept of "best" varies, but truthfully, isn't it just dumb? I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. What is up for debate is the desire to believe that some people are worth your time, in this case, a heartbreaker. Unfortunately, Mariah hit the nail a little askew, and didn't clarify what a heartbreaker is, and that'd be someone who intentionally leads people on or two times or is just a real jerk.

The late 90s number one hit tosses around way too much trifling verbage, until thankfully Jay-Z makes an appearance. Here's the chorus:
"Heartbreaker, you got the best of me / But I just keep on coming back incessantly / Oh why, did you have to run your game on me / I should have known right from the start / You'd go and break my heart." 
That's right, you should have known.

For reasons unknown this petulant pop beat has been stuck in my head for the last 60 minutes. Enjoy the interesting casting of Jerry O'Connell in the role of Heartbreaker...

No comments:

Post a Comment