Monday, January 25, 2010

"Prototypes = Best Way"

So, I'm a big believer in stereotypes. I know, I know, terrible. But, there's a reason why they exist. Am I right? Don't answer.

That said, I had a recent experience that's sort of thrown me off course. Prototypes. There's supposedly a "best way" to do something, to get somewhere, to be who you want to be. Well, I don't really buy it. I've never thought of myself as being a stereotype. Ironically.

See, the way I look at it is, if you've got the skills, then you'll be fine. If you have the talent. The ability. The know-how, you will end up where you want to be. That's how I've always seen it, and it frustrates me to no end when I'm brought to this crossroad question: Where do you want to end up?

If I say where I really intend to be, then it's as if they view your step of trying to get into their door as the wrong move. Judgement's been passed. But there aren't any wrong moves as far as I'm concerned. Only experience and transferable skills.

And eventually, eventually, friends, I feel like I'll have had a multitude of positions, of experience that will make it possible for me to get where I'm going. Until then, a foot in the door is all I ask.

"All I ask is one thing, and I'm asking this particular of young people that watch. Please do not be cynical. I hate cynicism. For the record, it's my least favorite quality. It doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien

No comments:

Post a Comment