Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day Makes Sense

Oh, the irony!

Today marks a free day essentially set aside to give thanks to the land of opportunity for just that. And, general stick in the mud that I am, I feel it my civic duty to note how strange it is to celebrate the fact that we have jobs by not working.

Except for retail places like J.Crew, the Jewel and other places of that sort, those with job-type-jobs get a solid 24 hours sans The Daily Grind. That's nice, right? I suppose, yes, it is.

But it's not really fair, is it? Having a job is nice too, if we're just about stating facts. This year it seems that taking the day off, or any day off for that matter, is a slap in the face to the unemployed. Having been on both sides of the line, my empathy this Monday has been awakened. While millions of people rack their brains and dust off their resumes hoping for the opportunity to clock in and punch out, I think it is sort of rude to have a day congratulating those with jobs.

Alas, "Life isn't fair" — another post for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment