Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"Gentlemen prefer blondes"

This 1953 film isn't a classic based on the movie's contents. It's a classic because it's true, men prefer blondes, by and large. *Note: this isn't a post that slams blondes, so if that's what you're waiting for, prepare to wait a long time. Most women experiment with hair color — and sometimes it's the difference that makes their career.

What I think is strange about this American fetish is that the two most iconic blondes in the last century, or so, aren't actually natural blondes. They're brunettes who just knew how to rock it. Think Marilyn Monroe and Pamela Anderson.

As a woman, I love the idea of natural hair color winning out. I'm not a huge fan of dying your locks. But, I suppose I can't knock it 'til I try it, and knock on wood, my red curls won't go gray any time soon. I always thought that what was attractive is what is less common, and blondes are quite common. So, is the theory that "Gentlemen prefer blondes" more true because proportionally there are literally more women out there with dyed or natural blonde hair?

 I almost wonder if what's stranger is the use of the word "gentlemen." Should it be, "Douches prefer blondes?" Does that necessitate that you are a douche if you like blondes or does it mean that you can't not be a douche if you like a blonde? Or, are there just proportionally more douches out there? But all of that is shortsighted and judgmental, no?

 These days, like it seems all the days that have preceded it, mainstream television is soaked with blonde. Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment