Tuesday, March 30, 2010

No taxation without representation: Taxes are fair.

Taxes are the worst. At best they are sub-par. For the working world, taxes mean doom and gloom, and for others it can mean a fat refund. For me though, taxes are that nasty doom and gloom business. See, I'm technically self-employed. Independent. I'm not an island, per se, but not too far off in the eyes of the government.

Being self-employed sounds awesome, right? And the freedom of a play-by-your-own-rules work schedule is definitely not without its perks. (Too many negatives?) Let's try that again: there are perks to working solo!

But the Self-Employment Tax is enough of a non-incentive to ward off potential upstarts and consultants. If only I had read the fine print when I first began leasing myself and services out. Oh, the 1099-MISC., how you mock me.

Alright, cutting the crap, I love working for myself. This lifestyle suits me right now. It gives me time to have a (mostly) fun job in retail, while I can also work on my own stuff (ie classes, improv, performing and writing) at my leisure. I can be as motivated or unmotivated as I want. And, yeah, it's scary sometimes because I'm the one who has to kick myself in gear rather than some snarky boss-man, but I live under the mantra that if anyone is going to tell me what to do, it's going to be me. (Unless I'm at J.Crew — then it's everyone else.)

No comments:

Post a Comment